W. E. Andrews

James Campbell

Leslie Collins

Arthur Deane

William V. Edwards

W. S. Ferris

Lee Galway

John Gault

A. Balfour Jackson

George Jackson

W. H. Johnston

Elliott Johnstone

Douglas Kennedy

Charles Kerr

William M’Caw

R. L. Ross

Thomas Shaw

Lloyd Thompson

Herbert Totten

Robert Webb (overseas)

A. C. Wallace


Knock Rugby Football Club was formed in September, 1900.

War Memorial Pavilion opened October 9, 1920.

Knock Rugby Football Club Pavilion was located in what is now part of Campbell College grounds).

Knock Rugby Football Club – Proposed War Memorial (BNL 01-04-1919)

Eighty two playing members of Knock Rugby Football Club enlisted and of those 17 paid the supreme sacrifice.



This afternoon [October 9, 1920.] in the presence of a large and representative gathering the war memorial grounds and pavilion, which involved in all an expenditure of about £1,500, was duly opened by Captain Herbert Dixon, M.P., who also unveiled the roll of honour inscribed with the names of upwards of 100 members, of whom 28 made the supreme sacrifice.

A feature of the enclosure is the spacious entrance and drive leading up to the pavilion, and sufficiently wide to permit cars to enter and leave simultaneously. The building itself is a handsome building of the bungalow type, and from the point of view of comfort and accommodation is probably second to none in the province. The dressing rooms are dry and commodious, while the bathroom has been equipped on most approved lines. The roll of honour, already referred to, occupies a prominent position within the building. It has been beautifully executed in oak and brass, surmounted by the club’s crest in colours. It was very much admired. In front of the pavilion is a stand in three tiers, capable of seating upwards of a hundred spectators. Gas, water and sewerage have been made on from the mains, and the general appearance of the building and surroundings is materially enhanced by the pretty shrubs.


At the outset the president of the club (Mr. John Archer, B.A.) extended a cordial welcome to all present, and went on to say that they had met on the application to pay a lasting tribute to the memory of their heroes who, out of the 105 who had volunteers, laid down their lives for their country on the field of battle. This club had been able to do so due the generosity of the debenture holders in contributing the necessary funds. They were taking that opportunity of thanking them sincerely, and of showing them exactly how the money had been spent.

“As the club is the creation of sportsmen,” he proceeded, “it is fitting that it should be declared open by one of the leading sportsmen in this country. Captain Dixon does not need to be introduced to you. He gave a splendid start in launching the scheme, and we are delighted that he should be here in at the finish. I know that is where the captain always likes to be.” (Applause.)

The hon. Secretary (Mr. W. A. B. Douglas), who was cordially received, announced a number of apologies, including one from Mr. T. W. Brown, J.C., M.P., a former playing member of the club.

He heartily endorsed all that had been said by the president, and paid tribute to the enthusiastic support the scheme to establish a war memorial had received since its inauguration at the hands of Captain Dixon, M.P. (Applause.)

The architect (Mr. John Seeds) then handed Captain Dixon the keys of the pavilion. He said that if the same spirit continued that he had seem manifested in the club for some time its success was, indeed, assured. (Applause.)


Captain Dixon MP (who was accompanied by Mrs. Dixon), was received with loud applause. He congratulated the secretary and committee on the wonderful way they had carried out the scheme. Nothing (he said) could have been done more efficiently, and the Rugby football community all over the North ought to be thankful to them, because what they had done was calculated to give a good impetus to the great old game.

The example they had set was one that should be followed by every club in Ireland. There was no more fitting place for a sportsmen’s roll of honour than in a pavilion. It was much better than in a church, because one entered a place of worship with a feeling of reserve, and seldom saw the names, except perhaps when the sermon was hard going with them, and they looked up. (Laughter.) He had followed Rugby all his life. It was a game that developed self-reliance, unselfishness, and fair play, the three things they stood for in Belfast. (Applause.)

“The trouble in Ireland would be done away with,” he added, “if all the youths in the country got their hair cut and settled down to a rugby scrum.” (Laughter and applause.) He was proud indeed to be there that day, and the hope to turn up at Knock many a time to give the teams a cheer to victory. (Applause.)

A vote of thanks to Captain and Mrs. Dixon was afterwards passed with cheers, on the initiative of Mr. W. M’Culla, one of the vice presidents of the club.

Tea was afterwards served in a marquee on the grounds, catering been admirably carried out by the Bloomfield Bakery Company, Ltd., under the personal supervision of Mr. Nelson M’Millan.

Ireland’s Saturday Night, October 9, 1920.


At the annual meeting of Knock Rugby Football Club, held in the Pavilion, Knock, on Tuesday evening-Mr. George R. Gilmour, presiding-it was reported that of last season’s fifteen fourteen, were now with the colours, several have already seen stiff fighting in France and Belgium, while the fifteenth was previously, and still remains, in Government service. It was further reported that of the general membership close on sixty are now in the army.

The Belfast News-Letter, February 27, 1915.

The text on this page has been created mainly from newspaper archive content and/or images and may contain typographical errors. If you can supply additional information, photographs of War Memorials in the nine counties of Ulster, or wish to report errors, broken links, make comments, suggestions, requests, etc. please email
All contributions will be acknowledged.

Free reserch service available when time permits.