Images of Memorial Tablet courtesy of Rev. Matthew Hagan. Church website http://armagh.anglican.org/Parishes/TynanAghavillyMiddletown.html
AGHAVILLY PARISH CHURCH, Co. Armagh.
The FALLEN 1914 - 1919.
Matthewson Bailie, Royal Irish Fusiliers
George Chambers, Royal Irish Fusiliers
John A. Murphy, Royal Irish Fusiliers
Archibald M’Cammond, Royal Irish Fusiliers
Samuel M’Clean, Royal Irish Fusiliers
William Stringer, Royal Irish Fusiliers
Albert E. Keys, South African Infantry.
These also Served.
John H. W. Erskine,
Unveiling and Dedication Ceremony.
On Sunday, December 12 , His Grace Lord Primate unveiled and dedicated the War Memorial Brass Tablet, and Roll of Honour recently erected by the parishioners.
There was a very large congregation present, and the service all through was most impressive. Morning Prayer was conducted by the Rector, Rev. H.A. Colvin, M.A. At the close of the Morning Prayer the unveiling and dedication ceremony was proceeded with. His Grace the Lord Primate proceeded by the Rector and churchwardens (Messrs. Charles Knipe and Robert Gwynne), moved in procession to the porch, where the Roll of Honour, containing the names of all parishioners who served in the war, was unveiled and dedicated. The procession then returned into the church, and took up position in front of the brass tablet containing the names of those who made the supreme sacrifice in the war. The ceremony of unveiling and dedication having been duly carried out by His Grace, special prayers were said, and the “Last Post” was then rendered by the buglers of the Milford Boy Scout Troop. They hymn “Ten thousand time ten thousand,” was then sung, after which His Grace preached a very appropriate sermon and paid a touching tribute to the memory of those who laid down their lives, and also to those who served and survived. After the singing of the hymn, “The Son of God goes forth to war,” the Benediction was pronounced. The service closed with the singing of the National Anthem.
The Memorial Brass, which is mounted on a frame of oak and surmounted with a radiant cross signifying sacrifice and victory, bears the following inscription: – “To the glory of God and in honoured memory of the men of this parish who sacrificed their lives in the Great War, 1914-1919.” Matthewson Bailie, Royal Irish Fusiliers; George Chambers, Royal Irish Fusiliers; John Murphy, Royal Irish Fusiliers; Archibald M’Cammond, Royal Irish Fusiliers; Samuel M’Clean, Royal Irish Fusiliers; William Stringer, Royal Irish Fusiliers; Albert Keys, South African Infantry.
The Roll of Honour containing the following names (in addition to those the fallen): -Edward Bell, William Beggs, Robert Beggs, John Chambers, Alexander Cust, William Courtney, J. Chapman, R. Borman, John H. W. Erskine, William Faulkner, John Forster, Ernest George, Frank Hamilton, Robert Hyde, William Hyde, Thomas Kernaghan, William Murphy, William Moore, James Moore, John Moore, John M’Kinley, Joseph M’Kinley, John M’Kenna, James M’Kee, David Williams, J. Pentland, Edward Quin, John Smith, Samuel Vallely.
Prior to the Dedication Service His Grace the Lord Primate held a special Confirmation service for candidates from the parish.
Armagh Standard, December 25, 1920.
The text on this page has been created mainly from newspaper archive content and/or images and may contain typographical errors. If you can supply additional information, photographs of War Memorials in the nine counties of Ulster, or wish to report errors, broken links, make comments, suggestions, requests, etc. please email
All contributions will be acknowledged.