Churches are listed in Alphabetical Order according to their District, Town or Village.
St. Salvator's Church of Ireland, GLASLOUGH, Co. Monaghan.
NAMES OF THE FALLEN
IN GLORIOUS MEMORY OF THE MEN OF THIS PARISH WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THEIR KING AND COUNTRY IN THE GREAT WAR.
CAPTAIN NORMAN LESLIE, RIFLE BRIGADE, 19TH OCTOBER, 1914, ARMENTERES
PRIVATE SAMUEL STEENSON, ROYAL IRISH FUSILIERS, 13TH MAY, 1915, YPRES
PRIVATE WILLIAM JAMES STRATTON, ROYAL IRISH FUSILIERS, 1st JULY, 1916, THE SOMME.
PRIVATE JOSEPH COLE, ROYAL IRISH FUSILIERS, 1st JULY 1916, THE SOMME.
PRIVATE JOSEPH STRATTON, ROYAL IRISH FUSILIERS, 12TH SEPTEMBER, 1916. DIED OF WOUNDS.
PRIVATE JAMES MACMURRIN, ROYAL INNISKILLING FUSILIERS, 9th MARCH, 1917. DIED OF WOUNDS.
PRIVATE THOMAS STEENSON, 21ST CANADIAN INFANTRY, 15th AUGUST 1917, HILL 70.
PRIVATE JAMES NIXON, ROYAL ARMY SERVICE CORPS, 1st MAY 1918, DIED IN HOSPITAL.
PRIVATE ROBERT STEENSON, SCOTTISH ROFLES, 16th MAY 1918, DIED IN HOSPITAL.
The Unveiling and Dedication.
A war memorial and roll of honour was unveiled by Colonel Sir John Leslie, Bart., and dedicated by the Bishop of Clogher at morning service at the parish Church,
Glaslough, on Sunday March 14, 1920. The Rev. John O’Connor, C.F., acted as Bishop’s Chaplain, the Rev. Dr. Davidson and Rev. John Ritchie, B.A., (Presbyterian Church,) read the lessons, and the prayers were read by the rector, Rev. G. W. A. Howard. The Rev. H. McClelland, Mus.D., officiated at the organ. Detachments of the King’s Royal Rifles and the Auxiliary Police paraded for the Service.
Following the processional hymn, anthem, and prayers, the clergy, choir, and congregation left the church and walked to the memorial, which is situated in an enclosure outside the church. It takes the form of a lion carved in hard limestone resting on a column on which has been cut the names of the fallen soldiers, the whole standing on a granite base. The memorial is about 14 feet high. The Rector petition Sir John Leslie to unveil and the Bishop to dedicate the memorial.
After the ceremony the buglers sounded the “Last Post,” and Lady Leslie placed a wreath of laurel and violets on the base in memory of her son, Captain Norman
Leslie. The National Anthem was sung and the procession re-entered the church, where the ‘Roll of Honour’ tablet was unveiled and dedicated.
In the course of his sermon, the Bishop of Clogher paid a tribute to the fallen and to the gallant deeds of the survivors. After the blessing, the buglers sounded the
‘Reveille’ which was followed by a recessional hymn.
The Fermanagh Times, March 10, 1920.
GLASLOUGH PARISH CHURCH date stone found.
The date stone on the church of St. Salvator, Glaslough, Parish of Donagh, has been discovered. It was known that this stone was on the building, but its exact whereabouts was not known. The walls of the church are closely covered with ivy. The work of clipping off the ivy has been going on, and it was in this way that the stone has been discovered. It bore the inscription: – ‘1670 rebuilt 1763.’
The Impartial Reporter and Farmers’ Journal, June 2, 1921.
If you can supply additional information an /or photographs of this memorial, or War Memorials in the nine counties of Ulster or wish to report errors, broken links, make comments, suggestions, requests, etc. please email
All contributions will be acknowledged.
Research is not been undertaken at the moment due to the pandemic.