KILMORE PARISH CHURCH. Co. Armagh.

The Names of the FALLEN

Drake, Robert,

Patterson Richard,

Thompson Henry

Wainwright Alfred

These Also Served.

Devlin, R.

Ferguson, C.

Ferguson, William,

Gibson, J.

Gibson, William

Hughes, S.

King, J., M.C.,

King, W.

Lambe, R.

M’Clelland, D.

M’Fadden, R.

Mayes, S.

Patterson, R.

Pearson, W.J.

Proctor, G.

Proctor, J.

Reid, F.

Unveiling and Dedication Ceremony.

On Sunday afternoon, 10th October, 1920, an impressive memorial service was conducted in St. Aidan’s Church, Kilmore (Co. Armagh), when two tablets, placed one on either side of the new organ, were unveiled by the Ven. the Archdeacon of Armagh-one to the fallen, the other to the men of the parish who served in the great war. Seats were reserved for the ex-Service men, who paraded under command of Lieutenant J. King. M.C., Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.

On the conclusion of the unveiling ceremony the Dead March in “Saul” was rendered on the organ, and the “Last Post” was sounded by buglers who belong to the Richhill Comrades of the Great War. The venerable preacher, who spoke from a pulpit draped with the Union Jack, paid a touching tribute to the memory of fallen brave, and also to those who had lived to come home. At the conclusion of the service a beautiful organ recital was given by Mr. Alfred Wainwright, organist of St. Luke’s, Loughgall, after which the soldiers and their relatives were invited to tea in the Orange Hall.

The tablets, in brass, bear the following inscriptions:-“This organ was erected to the glory of God and to perpetuate the names of the following gallant men who give their lives for King and country in the Great War, 1914-1918.

Drake, Robert, Patterson Richard, Thompson Henry, Wainwright Alfred.”

“Also in grateful acknowledgement of the patriotism of the following men who volunteered for service in the Great War-R. Devlin, C. Ferguson, Wm. Ferguson, J. Gibson, Wm. Gibson, J. King, M. C., W. King, S. Hughes, R. Lambe, R. M’Fadden, D. M’Clelland, S. Mayes, R. Patterson, W. J. Pearson, G. Proctor, J. Proctor, F. Reid, H. Wainwright, M. H. Walker, R. Winter.”

The Ulster Gazette and Armagh Standard, October 16, 1920.

The text on this page has been created mainly from newspaper archive content and/or images and may contain typographical errors. If you can supply additional information, photographs of War Memorials in the nine counties of Ulster, or wish to report errors, broken links, make comments, suggestions, requests, etc. please email
uwms@outlook.com
All contributions will be acknowledged.