This page contains five images, the names of the FALLEN 1914 – 1918, and 1939-1945, those who served 1914 -1918 and a report on the unveiling and dedication 1914 – 1918. Later the names of those who served 1939 – 1945 will be added.
GARVAGH WAR MEMORIAL, Co. Londonderry.
THE FALLEN 1914 - 1918.
Black, H. C., Private, New Zealand Expeditionary Force
Bradley, J., Private, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
Bradley, P., Australian Expeditionary Force
Caldwell, W., Private, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
Caskey, M., Private, Royal Scots Fusiliers
Dempsey, J., Private, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
Faith, J., Private, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
Gavin, R.F., Captain, Royal Irish Rifles
Hall, T., Corporal, Royal Irish Rifles
Hazlett, J. B., New Zealand Expeditionary Force
Lynch, J., Corporal, Royal Irish Fusiliers
Macausland, O.B., Lieutenant, Royal Irish Rifles
Maclean, J.G., Royal Navy
McCooke, J., Private, Australian Expeditionary Force
McCurdy, W., Driver, Royal Field Artillery,
McElfatrick, S., Private, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
McIlrath, M., Lance-Corporal, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
McIlrath, R., Lance-Corporal, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
Morrison, J.D., Lance-Corporal, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
Mulholland, J., Private, Highland Light Infantry
O’Kane, D., Private, Irish Guards
O’Kane, T., Private, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
Patton, W., Private, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
Stewart, W., Private, Gordon Highlanders
Thompson, W. J., Private, Irish Guards
Torrens, J., Private, Australian Expeditionary Force
Toye, R.E., Company Quartermaster-Sgt., Royal Irish Rifles
Weir, E. A., Sergeant, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
Weir, W. J., Private, King’s Own Scottish Borderers
Workman, W. J., Private, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
THE FALLEN 1939 - 1945.
Fleming, T., A.C.I.
Gray, R.A., Sergeant,
Robertson, R., F/O
1914 THESE SERVED 1918
Adams, T. A., Captain, R.A.M.C.,
Boyce, R. J.,
Boylan, J. J., Corporal
Bradley, M. M. C.,
Bradley, T., Corporal
Bradshaw, W. D., Lieutenant,
Cameron, W. C.,
Carton, J., Corporal
Chambers, D. N., Sergeant
Cranston, W. J.,
Dempsey, W. H.,
Devennie, J., Lance-Corporal
Dickson, M., Sergeant
Dickson, R., Sergeant
Diffin, W. J.,
Ferguson, W., Lance-Corporal
Garvagh, Lord L. E. S. G., Lieutenant
Gibson, T. J.,
Gilmore, W., Bombardier
Gould, R. A.,
Graham, J. A., Corporal
Gray, W. J.,
Heyland, G. D., Major
Kelly, R. J., Sergeant-Major
Lamont, J. A., Cadet
Lindsay, W. A., Lance-Corporal
Linton, R., Sergeant
Linton, W. J., M.C., Captain,
Lynch, W. B., Lance-Corporal
Lyttle, W. M.,
Madill, J. M. M., C.F., Captain
Madill, J. H., Captain
Madill, T., R.N., Cadet
Macausland, R. A., Captain, Croix -de-Guerre,
McCaughey, A., Lance-Corporal
McClean, R. J.,
McClenaghan, W. J.,
Mclntyre, D. J., M.M., Sergeant
McMaster, J. T.,
McMichael, W., Corporal
Meabank, G., Sergeant
Millar, J. H. W.,
Moore, T. J. C.,
Morrison, C. G., Lieutenant
Morrison, F. H. C., Major
Mullan, J., Lance-Corporal
Neely, H. W., D.C.M., Sergeant
Patterson, A., Sergeant
Paul, E. A., Sergeant
Paul, R. J.,
Rafferty, A., Corporal
Rankin, J., Lieutenant
Robertson, R., MM., Corporal
Smith, J., Lance-Corporal
Smyth, A. F. H., MC., Captain
Smyth, W. J.,
Stewart, W. H., CF, Captain
Thompson, A. C.,
Toye, D. A. W., Company Sergeant-Major
Toye, S. P.,
Toye, W., C.P.O.
Weir, R. J.,
Wilson, J. W., Sergeant, D.C.M.
Witherow, J. Corporal
Macausland, D. M.,
McNeary, S. A.,
Smyth, H. F. S.,
IMPRESSIVE UNVEILING CEREMONY.
TOUCHING TRIBUTES TO FALLEN HEROES.
The historic town of Garvagh was the scene of an impressive ceremony on Thursday when the beautiful war memorial, raised to perpetuate the memory of those who responded to the call of duty during the Great War, was unveiled. The relatives of those who served and the general public from a wide area thronged into the little town to witness the ceremony. By kind permission of the officer commanding, the band of the Royal Sussex Regiment from Derry, under Bandmaster S. Guilmont, attended and discoursed a beautiful selection of music. The memorial, which occupies a prominent place in the town, is a useful as well as a lasting structure. It takes the form of a tower which is provided with a magnificent clock.
The tower, built of black cut stone with cement joints, is 40 ft. high from the level of the ground, and stands on a concrete foundation nineteen feet by six feet deep. There are three concrete steps, two feet three inches above the ground level, on top of which the stonework commences. The outside of the structure is nine feet square, and the base is about twelve feet high. On the north and east sides of the base of three black granite tablets, on the former of which are inscribed the names of those who joined up, and the eastern tablet being the names of officers and men who made the supreme sacrifice (32). On the north and south sides are inscribed the names of those who served -139 and seven nurses, total 178. The base is surmounted by a strong course of cement nine inches deep, bearing the words “For God, for King, for country.” From the base up are three sets of louvred windows, four in the first course, eight in the second, and twelve in the third, which is the bell chamber. The centre of the clock’s dial is thirty feet from the ground level. The top is turret finished, with fixing for a flag. Entrance to the interior is through a door on the west side of base, and iron ladders reach to the different floors. The third and fourth floors are lead covered to prevent rainwater getting into, and there is a drain pipe for the rainwater. The tower was erected by Mr Thomas T. Fleming, Killyvalley, to the designs of the architect, Mr Thomas A. Johnston, Rosedale Villa, Moyletra. Mr Fleming and Mr Mann, as contractors for the tower and clock respectively, fulfilled their duties in a most praiseworthy manner. All those employed were local men, and the material also came from the vicinity. Mr McAfee, sculpture, Coleraine, carved the names; Messrs Hugh Faith, Robert Faith, and John Lamont built the tower, and Mr James McCooke, Garvagh, put all the stuff through his hands as labourer.
The splendid clock that has been provided for the tower was made by Messrs John Smith & Sons, Midland Clock Works, Derby, England. It is constructed with the improved dead-beat escapement, with a new type of compensating pendulum. It has a crown set of leavers attached to the movement for driving the hands, which are internally balanced by adjustable balances. By the aid of the escapement and pendulum the clock is capable of keeping time to within a few seconds a month. This result can be obtained only after a few weeks careful attention in regulating the pendulum, as the atmospheric pressure varies in different altitudes. It has four dials each three feet in diameter, made of opal glass framed in iron, in which there are no straight radiating pieces lest they should be mistaken (especially at night) for the hands. The figures, the numbers, and second hands are for distinctness sake all black, all other lines being gilt as a relief. The dials are illuminated at night by electric light, which is turned on and off at the electric station. The clock, which strikes the hours and ding-dongs the chimes on two bells, which weigh five cwt., has a pleasant mellow tone, and is heard a considerable distance from the town. Mr. A.F. Mann, watchmaker and jeweller, Garvagh, was entrusted with the supplying of clock, and now with looking after same.
From this description it will be seen that the committee, who had charge of the arrangements, worked energetically to make the memorial worthy of their town. The following acted on the committee: – Dr A.M. Adams, J.P. (chairman), Mrs. Macausland. Mrs T. A. Macreary, Miss Madill, Miss Morrison, Rev W. H. Morrison, LL.D., Major Heyland, Messrs. W. J. Hilton, J.P., Co.C., John H. McCay, J.P., Daniel Boylan, J.P., Edward Stronge, D.G. Kerr, S.M. Milliken, A.L. Mann, Thomas Fleming, Thomas A. Johnston, C. W. Lester, hon. treasurer, Ulster Bank; John Henry, R.D.C., Robert Paul, Henry McAlister, and John J. Little hon. secretary.
Dr T.A. Adams occupied the chair, and accompanying him on the platform where:- Colonel H.T. Lyle, D.S.O., O.B.E., Colonel R.S. Knox D.S.O., Captain C.E. Stronge, D.L., Mr Daniel MacLaughlin, solicitor, Coleraine, Commander Clark, D.S.O., R.N., D.L., Colonel Moore-Irvine, County Commandant Special Constabulary, Derry, Captain C.N.L. Stronge, M.C., Major Hyland, Mrs. C.E.S. Stronge, Mrs. F. Stronge, Mrs. J. Clark, Mrs. Macausland, Mrs. Hyland, Mr. J.H. McCay, J.P., Mr C.W. Lester, (manager Ulster Bank, Garvagh), Captain W.J.K. Moon, M.C., Rev W.H. Morrison, LL.D., District Inspector Geelan, R.U.C., Coleraine, and Mr W.J. Hilton, J.P.
The Chairman’s Address.
The Chairman, Dr T. A. Adams, who acted as chairman of the War Memorial Committee, should have presided there that day, but, unfortunately, his health did not permit him to under-take the duty. He (the chairman) thanked the committee for inviting him to act in his stead. Nothing had happened in Garvagh in recent years which had made them all feel so proud as the completion of the War Memorial. It was not only a memorial to those who obeyed the call of king and country, but at the same time it was a useful ornament to their village. Those who served and who were still alive should feel pleased that such a memorial had been erected partly in commemoration of their own services. The near relatives of those who gave up their lives should have a feeling of pride that Garvagh in the time of their country’s need had such men willing to die and leave a noble example of courage, bravery, self-sacrifice, and loyalty, which could go down to coming generations, and they should feel glad that they had a war memorial such as that on which to record their names. (Applause.) That memorial of theirs was an honour and a credit to such a small polling district as Garvagh. (Hear, Hear) It stood completed at a cost of between £800 and £900, over £750 of which was the voluntary contribution of the people of the district. Those who did not subscribe would surely regret the fact hereafter, for no man could claim to be a worthy resident of the Garvagh district unless he had helped in the erection of the memorial. Nor could he feel that he had done his duty to the memory of those by whose blood and sacrifice he benefited. If any of them felt that they would like to soothe a guilty conscience they could easily do so by calling with the secretary (Mr J. J. Little) who, he could assure them, would give them a cordial reception. He (the chairman) made these remarks because the committee still required money! They hoped when all was finished to have £100 to invest, the interest of which was intended to keep the memorial and clock lighted and repaired. They hoped the public would not leave this burden on them as the memorial did not belong to them, but to the whole polling district of Garvagh.
Possibly someone, with more money than he would ever require, would step into the gap. Subscriptions would, however, be equally acceptable from ten, twenty, or fifty people as from one generous friend.
Mr John H. McCay, J.P., had offered to give sufficient to keep the memorial and clock in order for five years. That was in addition to a very generous subscription to the memorial fund. Before resuming his seat, the Chairman said there were certain names he should like to mention in connection with the memorial. The first was Mr Edward Stronge. The Committee had always had their hearts on the present site, but it was denied to them by a former owner. When Mr Stronge bought the Garvagh demesne he was approached by the committee, and his reply was, “Take all you want and be sure and take enough.” Could anything have been more generous? They could only tender their heartiest thanks to Mr Stronge, and, instead of waiting till later for a formal proposal of thanks, he would now ask them to give three hearty cheers for Mr Stronge, Mrs Stronge, and their son. Three rousing cheers were then given for these generous donors.
The next name he would mention would be that of their secretary, Sergeant John J. Little. From beginning to end he had been a tireless and efficient secretary. No one but himself knew the work he had done both as secretary and in assisting the tardy subscribers to make up their minds. He called for three hearty cheers, which were given, for Sergeant Little.
It was not often that a place of the size of Garvagh, continued the chairman, could produce a piece of work like the memorial without outside help. Their memorial had been completed at home. (Cheers)
Mr. T.A. Johnston, Lisachrin, acted as architect. He drew up the plans and saw the work completed. His forefathers lived in the district, and were all men in the same line. Mr. T.T. Fleming, Killyvalley, was the contractor, a man who was noted for always doing his work well. He, together with his masons, Messrs Robert and Hugh Faith, Mr John Lamont, and not forgetting the attendant, Mr James McCook, had left behind them a piece of work of which they might well be proud. (Applause.)
Mr. A.L. Mann had purchased the clock on the best possible terms. He had seen it properly erected and had taken the responsibility of keeping it on the correct time in the future. He (the chairman) hoped Mr. Mann would live long to be soothed to sleep at night and waked in the morning by the musical tones of their new clock. (Applause.) He called upon Captain Stronge to perform the opening ceremony.
Garvagh’s Sacrifice in The War.
Captain Charles E. Stronge, D.L., Lizard Manor, Aghadowey, said before unveiling this beautiful memorial, he would like to thank the committee and their secretary, Sergeant Little for the honour – the great honour – they had done him in asking him to perform this proud, and might he say, sad duty. From Garvagh and the surrounding district one hundred and seventy-eight women, officers, non-commissioned officers, and men served in the Great War, and of that number thirty-two officers and men were numbered amongst their glorious dead. To the mothers, fathers, sisters, and wives of that noble band they offered their deepest sympathy. Their names were cut in stone on that slab, and would remain there for those still unborn to look upon. They knew no fear. They were proud Irishmen, and died a soldier’s death, fighting for their King, their country, and those who were dear to them at home. Many of them lay sleeping in unknown graves. Others had their last resting-place marked by a simple wooden cross. There were beside him and in front of him that day those who had suffered the loss of dear ones and who knew too well what that bleeding heart meant. Think of those thirty-two now, no more sorrow, no more pain, no more war – Peace Perfect Peace!
Seven nurses served and endured many hardships on land and sea. All honour to them, they did their duty! One hundred and thirty-nine officers, non-commissioned officers and men came home, many of them wounded, having gone through much suffering. They were proud of their men. No one there who had not seen what they saw could realise the hardships they went through, always ready for the next fight.
A Fighting Race.
The Irish were a great fighting race. Lord Wolseley once said they were the finest fighters in the world, as they fought when they were wanted to fight and fought when they weren’t wanted, not a bad character from a Field Marshal. They thought of those grand Irish Regiments – names never to be forgotten – Irish Guards, Inniskillings, Irish Fusiliers, Irish Rifles, Dublins, Connaughts, Leinsters, Munsters and Royal Irish. They let the German hordes know what stuff they were up against. The old line battalions of those gallant regiments were practically wiped out in the first fortnight of the war, but they took a terrible toll before they died. An Irishman always talked about the Irish, but they did not forget the other soldiers who fought. They had there the band of the Royal Sussex, a very famous and very gallant English Regiment. That Regiment suffered terribly in the first fortnight of the war. One battalion was practically wiped out, and he supposed the other would have been too, had it not been in India at the outbreak of the war. God knows it suffered afterwards. He would like to thank from that platform the colonel and officers for their great kindness in allowing that splendid band to come to that ceremony, and they also thanked the bandmaster and men for the lovely music they had given them. He would like to mention that over £3,000 was subscribed in the Garvagh district for the Prisoners of War Fund, ambulance, parcels and comforts for officers and men, Red Cross etc. Out of this sum the memorial had cost nearly £1,000. He thought it was a beautiful memorial and the idea of a chiming clock, lit by electricity at night, was splendid. He congratulated the architect, contractor, and workmen on their excellent work. It was a credit to Garvagh. A great deal of the hard work in getting the memorial to its present state had been done by Sergeant Little, and he did not think anyone would be jealous by his mentioning this. He thanked the committee for that beautiful knife which he now used in cutting the string, and which he would always keep in memory of that day. In presence of Almighty God and of that large meeting he declared that war memorial unveiled – for God, for King, for country.
As the Union Jacks covering the inscriptions on the tower fell away, a bugler sounded the “Last Post” and the “Reveille,” the officers standing at the salute and the public with heads uncovered.
The Names Inscribed
Sergeant J.J. Little then read the following names, which are inscribed on the memorial: –
H.C. Black, J. Bradley, P. Bradley, W. Caldwell, M. Caskey, R. Collins, T. Dale, J. Dempsey, J. Faith, Captain R.F. Gavin, J.B. Hazlett, Corporal J. Lynch, Lieutenant O. B. Macausland, J.G. Maclean, J. McCooke, W. McCurdy, S. McElfatrick, Lance-Corporal M. McIlrath, Lance-Corporal R. McIlrath, Lance-Corporal J. D. Morrison, J Mulholland, D. O’Kane, T. O’Kane, W. Patton, W. Stewart, W.J. Tbompson, J. Torrens, T. Torrens, Company Quartermaster- Sergeant R.E. Toye, Sergeant F.A. Weir, W.J. Weir, W.J. Workman.
Those Who Served.
Captain T.A. Adams R.A.M.C.; R Alexander, R. Bell, W. Bell, R. Blake, R.J. Boyce, Corporal J.J. Boylan, M.M.; C. Bradley, R. Bradley, Corporal T. Bradley, W. Bradley, Lieutenant W.D. Bradshaw, S. Burnside, J Caldwell, W.C. Cameron, Corporal J. Carton , W Cathcart, Sergeant D.N. Chambers, R. Clarke, A. Collins, J. Collins, T. Collins, R. Craig, W.J. Cranston , J. Curry, J. Dallas, G. Dallas, T. Dallas, W.H. Dempsey, Lance-Corporal J. Devennie, D. Diamond, Sergeant M. Dickson, Sergeant R. Dickson, W.J. Diffin, Lance-Corporal W. Ferguson, S. Fleming, R Galway, Lieutenant (Lord) L.E.S.G. Garvagh, J. Gibson, J. Gibson, R. Gibson, T.J. Gibson, A. Gilmore, Bombardier W. Gilmore, W. Gilmore, R.A. Gould, Corporal J.A. Graham, W.J. Gray, T. Hall, Major G.D. Heyland, J. Hunter, W. Hunter, R. Irwin, D. Jamieson, J. Johnston, Sergeant-Major R.J. Kelly, P. Laffan, Cadet J.A. Lamont, W. Lamont, Lance-Corporal W.A. Lindsay, J. Linton, Sergeant R. Linton, S.S. Linton, Captain W.J. Linton, M.C.; T. Lynch, Lance-Corporal W.B. Lynch, W.M. Lyttle, Captain J..M.M. Madill, C.F.; Captain J.H. Madill, Cadet T. Madill R.N.; Captain R.A. Macausland,, Croix-de-Guerre; S. May, F. McCafferty, T. McAlister, J. McAtamney, M. McCann, Lance-Corporal A. McCaughey, R.J. McClean, W.J. McClenaghan, T. McGuigan, J. McIlrath, R. McIlroy, Sergeant D.J. McIntyre, M.M.; T. McMaster, Corporal W. McMichael, J. McQuaide, Sergeant G. Meabank, J.H.W. Millar, R. Millen, J. Moore, D. Moore, T.J.C. Moore, D. Morrison, Lieutenant C.G. Morrison, Major F.H.C. Morrison, Lance-Corporal J. Mullan, H. Mullan, M. Mullan, G. Neely, Sergeant H.W. Neely D.C.M.; P. O’Brien, A. O’Kane, D. O’Kane, A. Orr, Sergeant A. Patterson, S. Patton, Sergeant E.A. Paul, R.J. Paul, Corporal A. Rafferty, J. Rafferty, T. Rafferty, Lieutenant J Rankin, Corporal R. Robertson M.M.; W. Stewart, A. Scott, Lance-Corporal J. Smith, G. Smith, Captain A.F.H. Smyth M.C.; W.J. Smyth, D. Stewart, J. Stewart, J. Stewart, R. Stewart, T. Stewart, Captain W.H. Stewart, C.F.; W Stewart, T. Stratton, A.C. Thompson, Company Sergeant-Major D.A.W. Toye, S.P. Toye, W. Toye C.P.O.; R. Wade, J. Watt, R.J. Weir, A. Wilson, .J Wilson, Sergeant J.W. Wilson D.C.M.; T. Wilson, Corporal J. Witherow.
Diamond, M. Elder, D.M. Macausland, A. McNeary, S.A. McNeary, H.F.S. Smyth, Wilson.
Colonel Lyle’s Tribute.
Colonel H.T. Lyle, D.S.O., said they had unveiling a memorial in honour of those men of this district who gave their lives that they might live free and independent. They in Ulster were not given to forgetting the services rendered by their forefathers in the interests of liberty and justice, but still it was fitting, in the strenuous and quickly changing time they lived in, that they should erect some such visible and tangible sign lest in the future they should be tempted to forget. (Hear, hear.) It was also right that some permanent memorial should exist to show to visitors and impress upon them how magnificently the men of that district performed their duty to their country in the hour of need. They in Ulster revered three ideals, their God, their country, and their king, and time and again Ulstermen had died in defence of the same. He prayed that their children might be induced by the sight of those memorials, and by the reverence which they paid to the fallen heroes to so train themselves that, if necessity should ever arise, they might follow the same glorious example. (Applause.)
Colonel Knox and “Fighting D Company.“
Colonel R.S. Knox, D.S.O., said a great honour had been conferred on him in being asked to say a few words at that ceremony in the historic town of Garvagh. Their war record could surely be excelled by few communities in the British Empire, both in the number of men and women who volunteered for service in the Great War – thirty-two
of them giving up their lives for their country – and also in the amount of work done for and money subscribed to the Red Cross and for comforts for the men at the front. They would pardon him if he said a few words particularly about the men who served with him in the 36th Ulster Division. Although it seemed a short time ago, it was almost ten years since Captain Norman Stronge and Captain Billy Moon marched into France with their South Derry men and formed the nucleus of “D” Company, 10th Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, and he had only to tell them that that Company was nick-named and well deserved it too “Fighting D,” which should show them how gallantly the men of their town and district bore themselves in the war. One thought actuated the men at the front – to make it certain that on no account would the Germans be allowed to break the lines in France and Belgium and perhaps make the way for invading their islands, and carrying to their homesteads the devastation which wrecked some of the most prosperous farms and towns in Flanders. Thirty-two of their men died for this ideal, and when they looked at that memorial in the days to come, they should uncover their heads to the memory of the gallant men who lie buried in a foreign land, and also spare a thought for those who lived to return from horrors and privations, and if they were in need give them a helping hand. (Applause.)
Mr. D. Maclaughlin’s Speech.
Mr Daniel MacLaughlin, Coleraine, said he wished in the first place to assure them of the great pleasure it had given him to come there that day and to take part in this interesting and historic ceremony. He also wished to thank the committee for their kindness in inviting him, and for the honour conferred in asking him to address them. Though not a native of the historic town of Garvagh, he had had close business and professional relations with it for over 40 years, and he was glad to say that he had made many friends among the people of the town and neighbourhood. He could not help feeling that the present occasion was not one for long speeches. Were it not that it might seem to be paying an unworthy tribute to the brave men whose memory they commemorated that day, he would be disposed to say that the solemnity of the occasion would be best signified by their silent presence.
That day’s ceremony called up mixed feelings of joy and sorrow. Joy, when they thought of the brave young men who left home, relations, friends and country to fight the battle of liberty for them. Joy, when they thought of the many bright boys who did not hesitate to give their lives that they might be saved from the tragedy that was sure to follow upon the victory of a heartless and cruel tyrant, led away by vanity and almost assuming to himself the place on earth of Almighty God. None of them could help rejoicing in the thought that when the moment of danger came all those unfortunate differences, which too often at home created bad feeling and enmity were forgotten. With the men who went to the front, there was no thought of Protestant or Catholic, Unionist or Nationalist. The higher call of patriotism banished all these causes of dissension, and they went out bravely to fight as Irishmen for us and for their country. They could also look back with pleasure on the magnificent part taken in the war by their brother Irishmen. Whether in France or at Gallipoli the Irish solders showed that they could do their share as valiantly as any of His Majesty’s subjects, and the record of their bravery at the Somme and at the Dardanelles would always remain, for them, one of the brightest features of the Great War. But while they rejoiced in these recollections, they could not help feelings of sadness and mourning. They could not think of the many valuable lives sacrificed, the homes left without dear sons and brothers, the suffering and anxieties of those at home waiting for news of the dear ones abroad, and of the mourning and sorrow when the dread news arrived that they were in the list of casualties. Tragedies had taken place and homes made sorrowful in a way that could never be remedied. At the same time he was sure they all felt that those who were gone sacrificed their lives cheerfully and would not wish that their sorrow and mourning should be carried to the extent of visiting it on the rising generation. They must all accept the sacrifice, and do their best to make the children, who knew nothing of the terrible tragedies of the Great War remember with affection those who laid down their lives for them, and stimulate them to act as bravely when the occasion arises. They all hoped and prayed that such a world calamity would never occur again, but so long as they were at the mercy of politicians- he did not allude to any particular country or section -they did not know and could not foretell what might happen. At any rate, the people of Garvagh had shown that they were not forgetful, and in raising this memorial to the brave dead, they hoped to remind those coming after them that splendid young man lived in their midst, and that their memory should always be cherished with affection and pride. (Applause.)
A Fitting Memorial.
He congratulated the committee on the excellent memorial they had provided. It was worthy of Garvagh, and worthy of the men it was intended to commemorate. The subject of war memorials had excited keen controversy in many places. While everyone was agreed on the desirability and necessity of a war memorial, opinions differed as to the form it should take. Many thought the proper thing was a statute or obelisk. Others were of opinion that something should be provided which, while commemorating the men who were gone, would at the same time be a living and active reminder, which could be used for the benefit of the rising generation, and which would continuously call to mind the purpose for which it was erected. They sometimes saw statues and monuments, commemorative of some great event, that as time went on were not attended to as they should be. Events passed quickly, new interests arose, and people got so used to looking at a statue or monument that they lost all interest in it, and very often these erections were allowed to get into a state of dilapidation, and become more of a disgrace than a credit to the community. The Garvagh committee had solved the difficulty in a unique way. While they had the permanent memorial to mind future generations of the noble sacrifices of the fallen, they had succeeded in making it interesting and useful to the present and future residents by the erection of a clock. That would ensure constant care and attention, and no one could look at the time of day without recalling why the clock was there and what the memorial stood for. He heartily congratulated the committee on their successful effort, and again thanked them for giving him the privilege of being there that day. (Applause)
The Clock Set Going.
Mrs Edward Stronge having started the clock.
Major Hyland proposed a vote of thanks to Captain Stronge and Mrs Stronge, and this was seconded Mr. J. McCay, J. P.
Mr. W.J. Hilton, J. P., in proposing a vote of thanks to the speakers, hoped that the Garvagh people would get a trophy gun from the War Office to place at the foot of their memorial. Mr Daniel Boylan, J.P., seconded.
Mr. C.W. Lester, propose a vote of thanks to the chairman and the lady collectors, and this was seconded by Mr Maxwell J. Stronge.
Captain Stronge thanked the band for attending, and said Garvagh had appreciated their coming very much.
The proceedings terminated with the National Anthem.
Wreaths Placed on Memorial.
A number of beautiful wreaths were then placed at the base of the memorial, and included: –
“In loving memory of Wm. Patton, from his cousin, L Patton.”
“In loving memory of Lieut. O.B. Macausland, from Father and Mother.”
“In glad and loving memory of Private John McCook, Australian Imperial Forces.”
“In memory of a dear son and his brave comrades in the R.I.R., who fell in the Great War, 1914-1918, from Mrs Hudson, Woodbank Cottage.”
“In fond and loving memory of Private Wm. Caldwell, 10th Battalion R.I.F., from his sister.”
“In loving memory of our brother, Private H C Black. 8th Company, N.Z.R..”
“In loving memory of Private Wm. Caldwell, 10th Battalion, R.I. F., from his brother and sister.”
“In loving memory of C.Q.M.S. R E Toye, from the McNeary family.”
“In loving memory of my brother, from Mrs D. Moon, Mettican.”
“In loving memory of my dear husband, Charles D. Morrison, from Mrs Morrison.”
“In loving remembrance, from the Rectory.”
“In loving memory, from James M. Davidson, Killyvalley.”
“In grateful and loving remembrance of the Garvagh and District fallen heroes, from all at Clintonville.”
“In honoured memory of the men of Garvagh who gave their lives for King and country in the Great War, from Mrs Allen.”
“In memory of the fallen heroes, from L Wilson, Ballyagan,”
“In loving memory of Miss Edith Macausland, aunt of Lieutenant O. Macausland and connection of Captain R Fitz A. Gavin.”
“In loving memory of Garvagh’s fallen heroes who loyally and nobly did their bit during the dark days of the war, from their friends at Sunnyside.”
“In ever loving memory of a dear son and brother, from Mary and Francis Hall.”
“In fond and loving memory of my dear father, James Faith, who fell at the Battle of the Somme-ever remembered by his son, Robert Faith, Caw.”
“In loving memory of our dear son and brother, from the Lynch family.”
Laurel wreath, Mrs Macausland, Woodbank.
Northern Constitution 29th March 1924, page 11.
If you can supply additional information, photographs of War Memorials in the nine counties of Ulster, or wish to report errors, broken links, make comments, suggestions, requests, etc. please email
All contributions will be acknowledged.
Research is not been undertaken at the moment due to the pandemic.