Glendermott, County Londonderry
Glendermott War Memorial is located in the grounds of Glendermott Parish Church.
This memorial is not strictly connected with any single church congregation in the area. It has been erected in the grounds of the church just in front of the tower. It is dedicated to the memory of all the men associated with the North Derry U.V.F., who fought and fell in the great war, of whom seventy-seven made the supreme sacrifice.
It represents a bugler, steel-helmeted and uniformed, standing beside a tree stump and sounding “The Last Post.” The figure, which is about six feet high, if set on a pedestal, which measures eight feet from the base to the top. The memorial is cut in Irish limestone procured in Wicklow and the entire cost being £500.
On the side of the pedestal, underneath the trumpeter, is the Red Hand of Ulster, and then the following inscription;
“The Last Post.”
Erected by the officers, men and friends 1st North Derry Battalion U.V.F., to the memory of their comrades from the battalion who fell in action in the great war, 1914-1919.
At the call of Empire for the cherished rights of justice and liberty, they nobly responded. Their honour unstained, their hope undimmed, their faith unfaltering, they fought with unflinching courage. They fell as heroes, not tasting death, but taking rest, they sleep among the brave. '’Till the day break and the shadows flee away.’ (Solomon ii. 17). ‘For the trumpet shall sound.’ (1 Cor, xv. 52).”
The Names of the Fallen.