County Armagh War Memorial, Armagh City, County Armagh.
The County Armagh War Memorial is located in the Mall adjacent to Beresford Row. It is constructed on a base of grey Cornish granite, rising from two steps. The pedestal bears on the front the inscription:-
To her children
Who fought and fell
THE GREAT WAR
In Sorrow, in Thanksgiving,
And in Hope.
On either sides the dates,“1914-1918” are in bronze letters on flanking stones, on the top of which are bronze wreaths. At the back of the pedestal is cut in large letters “Glory to the Dead.”
The figure on the pedestal is intended to personify “Peace with Honour.” She holds in the left hand a palm leaf, which is symbolical of peace, while in the right she holds a wreath of laurels, towards which her head is turned in thoughtful contemplation, conveying to the observer the feeling strong in all our hearts of glory and honour to the dead, the memory of whose glorious self-sacrifice the Memorial is intended to perpetuate.
When W. Major J. C. Boyle, D.L., High Sheriff, on behalf of the Memorial Committee and the Mall Trustees, handed over the memorials (this memorial, the Boar War Memorial and a Russian Gun captured in the Crimea) to the Armagh County Council he said the committee had found that there were so many names of the fallen that it was impossible to ensure they had obtained them all. Therefore, rather than omit one name the committee had decided to have none.
Nearby is a memorial dedicated to the memory of the officers, noncommissioned officers and men of the Princess Victoria’s Royal Irish Fusiliers who fell in the service of their country during the South African Campaign 1899 - 1902. Beside this memorial is a cannon from the Crimean War.